Friday, March 11, 2005

The Dead Talk 

Last night was an emotionally draining night. I drove down to Binghamton (bad idea when you are tired BTW- to plan to dive 2.5 hours and back in one night) to spend the evening at a viewing with my family. As most of you know, my grandfather was a Holocaust survivor. You probabley also know that he passed away last August, just a month before I was meant to hear him speak about his experiences. So a local group had put together a documentatry on survivors who had settled into the Tri-County Area (Binghamton, Ithica, Elmira etc.) There was also a display on Daniel, a little boy who survived- form the Holocause museum in DC.
As someone who knows about the Holocuast, learned things, saw picture and has read a lot about it the documentary was not all that distressing. It was definatly not a Shindlers List. You heard other members of the audience be upset by certain things, but it did not affect me that much. But what did, was seeing my Grandfather on the screen. The first appearance prompted a gasp from my Grandmother- a cry to see the man she lived with and loved for 50 years and who died so recently. We all were hit hard by that image and his voice. There were a few members of the audience who were looking at us sideways, not sure what the crying and fuss was about, and then they showed his death notice- which set us all off again.
My grandfather was a man who strongly believed in the need to continue teaching about what he went through, no matter how hard it was, and it was hard for him to speak about it. But I am so glad that even after his death he is still touching people- including me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

 
 

Pages of Note:
The Words of my bestest bud.
My Aunt's Blog

EDJ's Blog
The rabble of film reviews- cinemablend

Archives:

 
 
Questions? Comments? Like/hate my writing? Email me.